AT Banter Episode 240 – Another Damn Anniversary Show

Yes, dear listeners, it’s that time of the year again! This week marks our 5th year of shows, and no one is more surprised at our longevity than we are! Join us for this special episode to hoist a few to ourselves, look back at the year that was, and generally be our silly selves. Thank you to all that have continued to listen to us and support the show – this one’s for you!

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-240-another-damn-anniversary-show.pdf

AT Banter Episode 239 – Matthew Horspool

Rob, Ryan and Steve band together once again, celebrate Ryan’s victory over his ant problem and ponder the term “Parastronaut” before welcoming Matthew Horspool from the Braillists Foundation to the show. They discuss the state of braille in the blindness community in the UK and some of the challenges faced for organizations that work to advocate for braille literacy and teach braille.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-239-matthew-horspool.pdf

Show Notes

The Braillists Foundation
https://www.braillists.org/

Astronauts with disabilities can apply to Europe’s space agency for 1st time
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/astronauts-physical-disabilities-esa-1.6013038

AT Banter Episode 238 – Plan Institute

This week Rob and Ryan reflect on the wonders of ant life before welcoming Stephanie Debisschop, Executive Director of Plan Institute (Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network) to the show to discuss the organization, its origins, and its mandate to help build stronger financial futures and support networks for people with disabilities through a variety of educational programs, supports, and outreach.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-238-plan-institute.pdf

Show Notes

Plan Institute
https://planinstitute.ca

PLAN
https://plan.ca

AT Banter Episode 237 – Audio Description: Human or Synthetic?

Networks and studios these days are experimenting with text-to-speech technology to create synthetic speech that can then be used as Audio Description for different shows and movies. Today we talk with Valerie Hunter from Valerie H Productions and Melissa Hope from Descriptive Video Works and discuss this new technology and how it’s being used, the controversy it’s caused in the Blind and Partially Sighted communities, and some of the pros and cons of using it.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/at-banter-podcast-episode-237-audio-description_-human-or-synthetic_.pdf

Show Notes

Valerie H Productions
http://www.valerie-h.com/

Descriptive Video Works
https://www.descriptivevideoworks.com/

AT Banter is brought to you by Canadian Assistive Technology, providing sales and training in Assistive Technology and Accessibility with over 30 years of knowledge and experience. Visit them online at www.canasstech.com or call toll-free 1-844-795-8324.

Need repairs on your device? Chaos Technical Services offers service and support on almost any piece of Assistive Technology, while also providing parts and batteries. Visit them online at www.chaostechnicalservices.com or call 778-847-6840.

AT Banter Episode 236 – Canadian Helen Keller Centre

Rob and Ryan fly the show solo this week without Steve as they welcome on Laura Hayden from the Canadian Helen Keller Centre to discuss the organization and give them some insight on the types of programs and services that they offer Canadians all over the country who are deafblind.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/at-banter-podcast-episode-236-canadian-helen-keller-centre.pdf

Show Notes

Canadian Helen Keller Centre
https://www.chkc.org/

Jonathan Mosen Podcast
https://mosenatlarge.pinecast.co/episode/de792ca5/widespread-concern-about-accessibility-overlays-leads-to-a-new-chrome-extension-to-block-them-dating-when-blind-braille-comments-and-more

HBO Max Rolls Out Audio Descriptions
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/26/22352839/hbo-max-audio-description-warner-media

AT Banter Episode 235 – Tanner Gers

This week, Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome Paralympic Athlete and motivational speaker Tanner Gers to the show where they learn about his involvement in the bid to bring five-a-side Blind Soccer to the Paralympics as well as several other projects he has in the pipeline.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/at-banter-podcast-episode-235-tanner-gers.pdf

Show Notes

Find Tanner Online
https://tannergers.com

AT Banter Episode 234 – Good News Show 2

When it comes to this week’s show, we’ve got some good news, and we have some bad news. First the good news … THERE IS NO BAD NEWS (unless your name is Pepe and you’re a skunk)! That’s right, it’s been about a year since we had our last “Good News Show”, so we decided to do it again this year since we are still in desperate need of plenty of sunshine, lollipops, puppy dogs, and kittens in our lives! Maria Johnson from the Girl Gone Blind Blog joins Rob, Ryan and Steve for an hour of fun, laughter, and GOOD NEWS!

Show Notes

Girl Gone Blind Blog
https://girlgoneblind.com/

She Beat Cancer at 10. Now She’s Set to Be the Youngest American in Space
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/science/spacex-hayley-arceneaux.html

‘Life-saving’ nose spray that kills 99.9% of viruses begins production in Israel
https://www.timesofisrael.com/life-saving-nose-spray-that-kills-99-9-of-viruses-begins-production-in-israel/

Woman Finds Husband’s ‘Secret Instagram Account’ Full of Recipes He Makes for Her
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/woman-finds-husbands-secret-instagram-account-full-of-recipes-he-makes-for-her

The Golden Labrador Who Keeps on Giving
https://www.goodinfonet.com/goodnews/the-golden-labrador-who-keeps-on-giving-2

Orchestra Allows Deaf People to ‘Hear’ Beethoven
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/orchestra-allows-deaf-people-to-hear-beethoven-through-touch-much-like-he-did/

How Pepe Le Pew became the latest character in the culture war
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/03/09/pepe-le-pew/

AT Banter Episode 233 – Dominique Chabot and Autism Canada

April is World Autism Awareness Month and to help celebrate and spread awareness, Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome Dominique Chabot from Autism Canada to the show. We discuss the details of what Autism is and how it manifests, the challenges that many families face when it comes to being diagnosed, and what services and programs Autism Canada provides.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.com/transcript-episode-233-dominique-chabot-and-autism-canada/

Show Notes

Autism Canada
https://autismcanada.org/

AT Banter Episode 232 – Alanna Hendren

Rob, Steve and Ryan welcome Alanna Hendren from the Developmental Disabilities Association to the show this week to talk about the organization, its long history and the work it does throughout the Lower Mainland. The Developmental Disabilities Association is a community living agency that provides over 50 community-based programs and services to children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families in Vancouver.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/03/at-banter-podcast-episode-232-alanna-hendren.pdf

Show Notes

Developmental Disabilities Association
https://www.develop.bc.ca/

CELA
https://celalibrary.ca/

AT Banter Episode 231 #RestoreTheFunding

When the federal government released their 2020 Fall Economic Statement in December of 2020, it revealed its plans to withdraw the $4 million in funding that it provides to CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access) and NNELS (National Network for Equitable Library Service) in order to provide books in alternate formats. This week we welcome Karen Mckay from CELA and Daniella Levy-Pinto from NNELS to discuss these funding cuts and the implications for Canadians who rely on the alternative book formats their organizations produce. Find out how you can help as well!

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.com/transcript-episode-231-restorethefunding/

Show Notes

Centre for Equitable Library Access
https://celalibrary.ca
https://celalibrary.ca/advocacy#whatyoucando

National Network for Equitable Library Service
https://nnels.ca/
https://nnels.ca/advocate-nnels-services