AT Banter Episode 152 – Return of the Google Accessibility Team

Happy Global Accessibility Awareness Day! It’s been a week since Google I/O, Google’s big annual developer’s conference, and we welcome have three of the Google Accessibility Team to talk about some of the Accessibility announcements that were made at the event.

Show Notes

New Microsoft Patent Reveals Plans for Braille Controller
Microsoft is Improving Windows 10 Update Process
Google Accessibility Website
Contact Google Accessibility

Transcript of this show

Big shoutout and thanks to Adrian Roselli for his invaluable assistance in making the transcription of this show possible. Visit his website at http://adrianroselli.com/

AT Banter Episode 151 – Dr. Amy Kavanagh

It’s back to business as usual this week as we pick up the pieces from the 150th episode and welcome Dr. Amy Kavanagh to the Guitar Dungeon, all the way across the pond from the UK! Rob and Ryan explain what happened to Episode 150 and cover a bit of news before chatting with Dr. Kavanagh about her Twitter campaign of #JustAskDontGrab and the origins behind it.

Show Notes

Lego Creates Braille Building Blocks
https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/building-blocks-lego-creates-new-braille-bricks-1.4398733
Microsoft is making VR better for those with vision problems
https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/18/microsoft-seeing-vr/
Cane Adventures
https://caneadventures.blog/
Dr. Amy Kavanagh on Twitter
@BlondeHistorian
#JustAskDontGrab

AT Banter Episode 149 – Noah Callan and Disability Tek

Rob, Ryan, and Steve cover a few news stories of the week and then are joined by Noah Callan, CEO and founder of the website Disability Tek.  Noah discusses his excitement about assistive technology, what impact it’s had on his life, and the state of Apple Accessibility.

Show Notes

Intuitive Limbs: The New Era In Prosthetic Technology
https://www.forbes.com/video/6000038875001/#192bb3472c57
Toronto’s only operating cannabis retail store not wheelchair accessible on opening day
https://globalnews.ca/news/5120247/hunny-pot-cannabis-co-accessibility-toronto/

Third of blind people have been hit or narrowly missed by electric car
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6914721/Blind-people-hit-narrowly-missed-electric-car.html

British scientists on cusp of curing blindness with stem cells
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919821/British-scientists-say-theyre-cusp-curing-blindness-stem-cell-treatment.html

Disability Tek
https://www.disabilitytek.com

Sesquicentennial Episode Extravaganza!

Time really does fly when you’re having fun! None of us here at the podcast can believe that we’ve managed to record and produce 150 episodes of the AT Banter Podcast, but the math doesn’t lie!

When we sat around in the Guitar Dungeon trying to come up with ideas of what we could do that was special this year for our anniversary (other than recording an episode while consuming tequila shots and making complete asses of ourselves), we once again revisited the idea of a “live” show.

For years, Ryan has been suggesting we try a specially formatted episode that would let us interact with our listeners, and this time when he brought it up, we thought it had the potential for audio chaos which, for those who’ve heard our past anniversary shows, is a perfect for our sesquicentennial episode. Using the Zoom Meeting platform, we will be opening our room for the public (find the link below) so that anybody can join the conversation.

So join us on Thursday May 2nd, at 5:30pm PST and join the party — the mics will be hot and the tequila will chilled! Just follow the link below after 5:30pm PST on the 2nd and come say hi, ask a question and come celebrate 150 episodes along with us!

Join the AT Banter Sesquicentennial Episode Zoom Meeting
Thursday, May 2nd 5:30pm PST
https://zoom.us/j/661814311

AT Banter Episode 148 – Sam Seavey and The Blind Life

This week we’re joined by Sam Seavey from the popular YouTube Channel The Blind Life.  We discuss the state of Assistive Technology, what kind of AT he uses in his daily life, and the trials and tribulations of being a YouTube Content Creator.

Show Notes

The Blind Life YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNbzN3eHbLKPzltSB560DkA
Blind Shell Accessible Mobile Phone
https://www.blindshell.com/

AT Banter is brought to you by Canadian Assistive Technology, providing sales and training in Assistive Technology and Accessibility with over 30 years of knowledge and experience. Visit them online at www.canasstech.com or call toll-free 1-844-795-8324.

Need repairs on your device? Chaos Technical Services offers service and support on almost any piece of Assistive Technology, while also providing parts and batteries. Visit them online at www.chaostechnicalservices.com or call 778-847-6840.

AT Banter Episode 147 – Karthik Kannan and Envision AI

This week Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome Karthik Kannan, co-Founder and Chief Engineer at Envision Technologies, into the Guitar Dungeon all the way from the Netherlands! We discuss the details of the Envision app, which assists blind or partially sighted users and the power of AI and machine learning that drives it.

Show Notes

Envision AI
https://www.letsenvision.com/
Download Envision AI for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.letsenvision.envisionai
Download Envision AI on iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1268632314

Episode 146 – David Lepofsky and the Accessible Canada Act

This week we’ve got a very important show – if you only listen to one episode of AT Banter this year, this is the one! Renowned disability advocate David Lepofsky joins us to talk all about C-81, the proposed Accessible Canada Act and details some of the shortcomings of the Act which he and many other disability advocates hope will be rectified before the Act passes into law. Listen in and find out what you can do to help and make your voices heard!

Show Notes

AODA Alliance Website
https://www.aodaalliance.org
EMAIL THE SENATE COMMITTEE!
soci@sen.parl.gc.ca
AODA Alliance on Twitter
@aodaalliance

Email the AODA Alliance
aodafeedback@gmail.com
Accessible Canada Act Is Too Weak to be Effective, Advocates Say (CTV News)
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/accessible-canada-act-is-too-weak-to-be-effective-advocates-say-1.4224281

AT Banter Episode 145 – Nancy Thorogood

This week Rob and Ryan welcome Nancy Thorogood, Research Associate from the Rick Hansen Institute, into the Guitar Dungeon to talk about the Institute and the work that they do on Spinal Cord Injury research, all the while trying not to ask stupid questions (and sometimes succeeding).

Show Notes

Rick Hansen Institute
http://rickhanseninstitute.org/
RHI and Stem Cell Research
http://rickhanseninstitute.org/resource/sci/stem-cell-research
Additional Information on Spinal Cord Injuries
https://scireproject.com/
https://scireproject.com/community/
Local Studies on SCI
http://icord.org/research/participate-in-a-study/
Apple Event 2019 Annoucements
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-event-2019-apple-card-tv-plus-news-plus-arcade-everything-just-announced/

AT Banter Episode 144 – CSUN Wrap-Up

Assistive Technology geeks, rejoice! This week it’s all about gadgets and shiny objects as the boys are joined by Albert Ruel and Kim Kilpatrick from Get Together With Technology to talk about the recent CSUN Conference. Albert, Kim, and Steve tell us all about the highlights from the conference and the new technology that was on display as well as some of the Conference’s surprises and standout experiences.

Show Notes

Canute
http://www.bristolbraille.co.uk
TactPlus Tactile Printer
https://www.tactplusprinter.com
BrailleMe
http://innovisiontech.co/brailleme
B2G
https://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/technology/b2g
QD Laser
https://www.qdlaser.com/en/applications/eyewear.html
Tech4Freedom – UFO
https://www.tech4freedom.net/ufo
Tech4Freedom – Box One4ALL
https://www.tech4freedom.net/box
Zoomax AceSight
https://www.zoomax.com/low-vision-products/wearable-AceSight.html
Sony Wearable Neck Speaker
https://www.japantrendshop.com/sony-wearable-neck-speaker-srsws1-p-4096.html
Nearby Explorer
https://www.aph.org/pr/nearby-explorer-now-available-for-ios
Tap Keyboard
https://www.tapwithus.com
Markido Inc
https://markido.com
BuzzClip
https://imerciv.com

AT Banter Episode 143 – Richard Harlow

This week we’re visited by local visually impaired artist, advocate, motivational speaker and self-proclaimed Renaissance Man, Richard Harlow. Richard tells us how he was first diagnosed with the rare condition LHON, how it impacted his life, and how it eventually saw him begin a life of advocacy that resulted in the city of Nanaimo adopting a new Accessibility icon.

Show Notes

Delta Air Lines bans young puppies and kittens as support animals
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/delta-airlines-bans-support-animals-trnd/index.html
A look at TTC accessibility through the eyes of a rider who uses two canes
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2019/03/10/a-look-at-ttc-accessibility-through-the-eyes-of-a-rider-who-uses-two-canes.html
Richard Harlow Interview from Times Colonist
https://www.timescolonist.com/how-artist-richard-harlow-changed-his-style-after-going-blind-1.22756732