AT Banter Episode 167 – Skoog Returns

The Dungeon is alive … with the sound of music! That’s right, this week we dive back into a Music Therapy discussion with yet another returning guest, Dr. Benjamin Schogler, from Skoog! We discuss how this innovative Music Therapy tool was developed as well its mainstream applications, what’s new with the next generation of Skoogs, and how it can be used in therapeutic settings.

Show Notes

Skoog Website
Audible Says Captions Are Fair Use

AT Banter Episode 166 – Stumped Again

The Guitar Dungeon is awash with excitement this week as Ryan, Rob, Steve, and special in-studio guest Grant welcome back Alexis Hillyard, creator of the YouTube cooking channel Stump Kitchen to the show. We discuss her advocacy work as well as how the Stump Kitchen has evolved before launching into an extended discussion on how advocacy and content creation can work together. You don’t want to miss this one!

Show Notes

Stump Kitchen YouTube Channel
Stump Kitchen Online

AT Banter Episode 165 – David Errington

Steve makes his somewhat triumphant return to the show for the first show of the Fall season where we discuss a new Audible accessibility feature that is under fire from publishers before we welcome David Errington, President and CEO of Accessible Media Inc, into the Guitar Dungeon.

Show Notes

Major book publishers sue Amazon’s Audible over new speech-to-text feature
Accessible Media Inc

AT Banter Episode 164 – Derek Featherstone

It’s the last show of the summer and we celebrate by welcoming in Derek Featherstone, Chief Experience Officer at Level Access and Accessibility Rock Star, into the Guitar Dungeon for an extended discussion of Digital Accessibility. We discuss everything from how the industry has changed to the new Accessible Canada Act and what needs to happen to drive Accessibility forward.

Show Notes

Watch Derek’s Accessibility Presentation, “Where Accessibility Lives”
Level Access

AT Banter Episode 163 – Getting a Clew with Paul Ruvolo

This week Rob and Ryan welcome Paul Ruvolo, creator of the indoor navigation app Clew, to the Guitar Dungeon. He walks us through how this innovative app uses Augmented Reality to provide a virtual breadcrumb trail and some of the challenges that were faced in development.

Show Notes

Aira Goes Free
Get Clew on the App Store
Clew Website

AT Banter Episode 162 – Accessibility News and Envision Announcement

We’re back from vacation (again) and go full steam ahead on discussing a few recent news stories about accessibility. From Lyft horror stories to self-service kiosks, Rob and Ryan cover a wide range of topics before welcoming back Karthik Kannan from Envision AI to announce some big promotional news.

Show Notes

Wheelchair users say even accessible taxis will refuse rides in Vancouver
San Francisco woman with disability who says Lyft drivers repeatedly cancel her rides is calling for change
This blind woman says self-checkouts lower the bar(code) for accessibility
A blind man couldn’t order pizza from Domino’s. The company wants the Supreme Court to say websites don’t have to be accessible
Envision

AT Banter Episode 161 – Jessica Hipp and WayAround

This week we delve back into the always-hot topic of Accessible spaces as Rob and Ryan talk with Jessica Hipp, Chief Operating Officer of WayAround, an innovative Audio Tagging system that could help revolutionize public, home, and office settings.

Show Notes

WayAround
Contact Jessica
connect@wayaround.com
New law requires pharmacies to provide “prescription readers” to blind patients

AT Banter Episode 160 – Amy Silverman

This week Rob and Ryan welcome Amy Silverman, author of “My Heart Can’t Even Believe It” into the Guitar Dungeon where the three discuss a variety of topics including the language of disability, advocacy, and raising a daughter with Down’s Syndrome.

Show Notes

My Heart Can’t Even Believe It: A Story of Science, Love, and Down Syndrome
https://www.changinghands.com/book/9781606132746
Amy Silverman Online
https://www.amy-silverman.com/

AT Banter Episode 159 – Jess Jur and Smart Clothing

Ever shop at Old Navy and wish you could purchase a t-shirt that could regulate temperature or monitor your vital signs? Well, you may be in luck soon. This week we talk with Jess Jur, Associate Professor of Textile Engineering, Chemistry & Science at NC State University’s College of Textiles who gives us an overview of the notion of Smart Textiles and helps us breakdown what the implications are for Assistive Technology going forward.

Show Notes

Comcast’s latest accessibility feature lets customers change TV channels with their eyes
Bad braille plagues buildings across U.S., CBS News Radio investigation finds

NEXT Research Group
Smart Clothes TED Talk

AT Banter Episode 158 – The State of Audio Description

The show returns from a week long break as Rob and Ryan welcome friend of the show Colleen Connor back in the Guitar Dungeon, where they discuss everything you want to know (and likely a few things you don’t) about the current state of Audio Described content and where they see things (hopefully) going in the future.

Show Notes

BlindInspirationCast
http://www.blindinspirationcast.com/
Audio Description Retreats