AT Banter Episode 246 – Stephanie Cadieux

It’s a big show this week as Steve, Ryan and Rob welcome Stephanie Cadieux, MLA for South Surrey and current Caucus Chair and Official Opposition Critic for Gender Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion, to the podcast to discuss the new Accessible British Columbia Act and what it means for people with disabilities throughout the province. We discuss how far we’ve come in addressing accessibility and barriers as well as the very long way we have to go. It’s an in-depth conversation that you won’t want to miss!

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/at-banter-podcast-episode-246-stephanie-cadieux.pdf

Show Notes

In Anticipation of a BC Accessibility Act
https://www.peacearchnews.com/opinion/opinion-in-anticipation-of-a-bc-accessibility-act/

AT Banter Episode 245 – Stump Kitchen Re-heated

The air is filled with excitement and the smell of freshly baked vegan cooking this week as Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome back Alexis Hillyard from the Cooking / Advocacy YouTube channel Stump Kitchen. We get a full update of how the channel has been doing, her personal life, and how the channel mixes in information, advocacy, her personal life and vegan recipes all into a tasty treat that subscribers all over the world gobble down weekly.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/07/at-banter-podcast-episode-245-stump-kitchen-re-heated.pdf

Show Notes

Stump Kitchen YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/stumpkitchen

Stump Kitchen Google Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWRbd9Ls_kM

AT Banter Episode 244 – David Dame

It’s a great show this week (unlike all those OTHER shows every other week) as Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome David Dame, Director of Accessibility at Microsoft Canada to the podcast. They discuss what’s new over at Microsoft Accessibility and what kinds of initiatives are in the works in order to help improve digital accessibility and inclusion. They may even entertain a few theories on what may have happened to everyone’s favorite paper clip …. #WheresClippy

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/at-banter-podcast-episode-244-david-dame.pdf

Show Notes

Dave Dame
https://www.davedame.com/home

David Dame – TedX
https://www.ted.com/talks/dave_dame_sprinting_with_cerebral_palsy

AT Banter Episode 243 – Super LIDAR

This week Rob and Ryan welcome Shane Lowe from Mediate, makers of the scanning app Supersense, to the show to talk about Super Lidar, their new mobility aid available for iOS!

Show Notes

Disability Alliance BC
https://disabilityalliancebc.org/

Disability Alliance BC Concerns over Bill 6
https://disabilityalliancebc.org/dabc-has-concerns-over-proposed-accessibility-legislation-contact-your-mla/

Find your local MLA
https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members

Supersense
https://www.supersense.app/

Super Lidar
https://www.supersense.app/product-page-superlidar

AT Banter Episode 242 – Al Etmanski

This week Ryan, Rob and Steve welcome author and long-time Disability advocate Al Etmanski to the show.  Al is author of the book “The Power of Disability: Ten Lessons for Surviving, Thriving, and Changing the World” and has led the closure of institutions and segregated schools in British Columbia, founded Canada’s first Family Support Institute and co-founded Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network (PLAN) with his wife Vickie Cammack in 1989. We discuss the book, the importance of advocacy, the current state of Disability Rights and issues, and much more!

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/at-bantter-podcast-episode-242-al-etmanski.pdf

Show Notes

Al Etmanski Online

The Power of Disability
https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Disability-Surviving-Thriving-Changing/dp/1523087560

https://www.audible.ca/pd/The-Power-of-Disability-Audiobook/B082DRF6H6

AT Banter Episode 241 – Accessible Overlays

If you have ever been wondering just what an Accessible Web Overlay is and whether or not it’s a good thing or a bad thing, boy do we have the show for you. This week Rob, Ryan, and Steve welcome Accessibility Advocate Samantha Evans and independent Accessibility Consultant Nick Steenhout to fill us in on what they are, how they work and how they are currently impacting the world of digital accessibility.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/at-banter-podcast-episode-241-accessible-overlays.pdf

Show Notes

Overlay Fact Sheet

https://overlayfactsheet.com

Accessibility Rules Podcast
www.a11yrules.com

Accessibyebye
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/accessibyebye/ikcamkknjfdplkdjjncobgmpciklohjg

AT Banter Episode 240 – Another Damn Anniversary Show

Yes, dear listeners, it’s that time of the year again! This week marks our 5th year of shows, and no one is more surprised at our longevity than we are! Join us for this special episode to hoist a few to ourselves, look back at the year that was, and generally be our silly selves. Thank you to all that have continued to listen to us and support the show – this one’s for you!

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-240-another-damn-anniversary-show.pdf

AT Banter Episode 239 – Matthew Horspool

Rob, Ryan and Steve band together once again, celebrate Ryan’s victory over his ant problem and ponder the term “Parastronaut” before welcoming Matthew Horspool from the Braillists Foundation to the show. They discuss the state of braille in the blindness community in the UK and some of the challenges faced for organizations that work to advocate for braille literacy and teach braille.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-239-matthew-horspool.pdf

Show Notes

The Braillists Foundation
https://www.braillists.org/

Astronauts with disabilities can apply to Europe’s space agency for 1st time
https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/astronauts-physical-disabilities-esa-1.6013038

AT Banter Episode 238 – Plan Institute

This week Rob and Ryan reflect on the wonders of ant life before welcoming Stephanie Debisschop, Executive Director of Plan Institute (Planned Lifetime Advocacy Network) to the show to discuss the organization, its origins, and its mandate to help build stronger financial futures and support networks for people with disabilities through a variety of educational programs, supports, and outreach.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/05/at-banter-podcast-episode-238-plan-institute.pdf

Show Notes

Plan Institute
https://planinstitute.ca

PLAN
https://plan.ca

AT Banter Episode 237 – Audio Description: Human or Synthetic?

Networks and studios these days are experimenting with text-to-speech technology to create synthetic speech that can then be used as Audio Description for different shows and movies. Today we talk with Valerie Hunter from Valerie H Productions and Melissa Hope from Descriptive Video Works and discuss this new technology and how it’s being used, the controversy it’s caused in the Blind and Partially Sighted communities, and some of the pros and cons of using it.

Show Transcript: https://atbanter.files.wordpress.com/2021/04/at-banter-podcast-episode-237-audio-description_-human-or-synthetic_.pdf

Show Notes

Valerie H Productions
http://www.valerie-h.com/

Descriptive Video Works
https://www.descriptivevideoworks.com/

AT Banter is brought to you by Canadian Assistive Technology, providing sales and training in Assistive Technology and Accessibility with over 30 years of knowledge and experience. Visit them online at www.canasstech.com or call toll-free 1-844-795-8324.

Need repairs on your device? Chaos Technical Services offers service and support on almost any piece of Assistive Technology, while also providing parts and batteries. Visit them online at www.chaostechnicalservices.com or call 778-847-6840.