AT Banter Episode 161 – Jessica Hipp and WayAround

This week we delve back into the always-hot topic of Accessible spaces as Rob and Ryan talk with Jessica Hipp, Chief Operating Officer of WayAround, an innovative Audio Tagging system that could help revolutionize public, home, and office settings.

Show Notes

WayAround
Contact Jessica
connect@wayaround.com
New law requires pharmacies to provide “prescription readers” to blind patients

AT Banter Episode 160 – Amy Silverman

This week Rob and Ryan welcome Amy Silverman, author of “My Heart Can’t Even Believe It” into the Guitar Dungeon where the three discuss a variety of topics including the language of disability, advocacy, and raising a daughter with Down’s Syndrome.

Show Notes

My Heart Can’t Even Believe It: A Story of Science, Love, and Down Syndrome
https://www.changinghands.com/book/9781606132746
Amy Silverman Online
https://www.amy-silverman.com/

AT Banter Episode 159 – Jess Jur and Smart Clothing

Ever shop at Old Navy and wish you could purchase a t-shirt that could regulate temperature or monitor your vital signs? Well, you may be in luck soon. This week we talk with Jess Jur, Associate Professor of Textile Engineering, Chemistry & Science at NC State University’s College of Textiles who gives us an overview of the notion of Smart Textiles and helps us breakdown what the implications are for Assistive Technology going forward.

Show Notes

Comcast’s latest accessibility feature lets customers change TV channels with their eyes
Bad braille plagues buildings across U.S., CBS News Radio investigation finds

NEXT Research Group
Smart Clothes TED Talk

AT Banter Episode 158 – The State of Audio Description

The show returns from a week long break as Rob and Ryan welcome friend of the show Colleen Connor back in the Guitar Dungeon, where they discuss everything you want to know (and likely a few things you don’t) about the current state of Audio Described content and where they see things (hopefully) going in the future.

Show Notes

BlindInspirationCast
http://www.blindinspirationcast.com/
Audio Description Retreats
http://www.adtrainingretreats.com/
VocalEye
http://www.vocaleye.ca/

AT Banter Episode 157 – Mike Feir and Accessible Gaming

Ready to do some button mashing?? We take a deep dive into the history and future of Accessible Gaming with this week’s guest, Mike Feir, who is a regular contributor on AMI as well as author of several books. Mike’s experience with Accessible Gaming goes all the way back to the 90s, and he discusses what it was like back then and where he sees gaming going these days.

Show Notes

Audio Games
http://www.audiogames.net
AppleVis
https://www.applevis.com/
Mike’s Blog
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/
Blind Bargains
https://www.blindbargains.com/
Kelly & Company
https://www.ami.ca/category/kelly-and-company

AT Banter Episode 156 – Tyler Stephen WWDC Rundown

This week it’s all about Apple as we welcome Tyler Stephen from AppleVis into the Guitar Dungeon to give us a rundown of the major Accessibility announcements that were made at Apple’s annual Developer’s Conference.

Show Notes

Ali Stroker Makes History as First Wheelchair User to Win a Tony
WWDC 2019 as it happened: everything announced during Apple’s keynote

AppleVis

AT Banter Episode 155 – Kelly Goto

A very special episode this week as we spend the entire hour talking with Kelly Goto, respected presence in the UX, Service Design and CX communities and Founder of Goto Media. We discuss the often mysterious world of design, and get an inside view of some of the most important design elements of the past 20 years before diving into the importance of universal design.

Show Notes

Goto Research / Media
www.gotomedia.com
www.gotoresearch.com
Global Research Consortium

www.uxfellows.com
Colin’s Story
https://mindfultech.us/light-and-dark/

AT Banter Episode 154 – En-Vision America

Rob and Ryan fly solo this week while Steve is out and welcome Amanda Tolson and Jenna Reed from En-Vision America to the show.  We discuss En-Vision’s long standing presence in the Assistive Technology community, dive into everything we wanted to know about bar code scanning, and the importance of Accessible Prescription labeling solutions.

Show Notes

AODA Alliance More Details on Amendments to ACA
Accessible Canada Act Could Become Law Next Month

CRTC calls for comments on Bell, Corus, Rogers proposed amendment to described video conditions
En-Vision America
En-Vision America Advocacy Page

AT Banter Episode 153 – Cathy Browne

This week Rob, Ryan, and Steve welcome local photographer, accessibility advocate, and one of the busiest people we know, Cathy Browne into the Guitar Dungeon to talk about her photography, some of her advocacy work and the importance of accessible environments.

Show Notes

Google Unveils Google Glass Enterprise Edition 2
Cathy Browne Flickr Album
Soap Box Radio Archive

Follow Cathy on Twitter!
@CathyBrowne

AT Banter Episode 152 – Return of the Google Accessibility Team

Happy Global Accessibility Awareness Day! It’s been a week since Google I/O, Google’s big annual developer’s conference, and we welcome have three of the Google Accessibility Team to talk about some of the Accessibility announcements that were made at the event.

Show Notes

New Microsoft Patent Reveals Plans for Braille Controller
Microsoft is Improving Windows 10 Update Process
Google Accessibility Website
Contact Google Accessibility

Transcript of this show

Big shoutout and thanks to Adrian Roselli for his invaluable assistance in making the transcription of this show possible. Visit his website at http://adrianroselli.com/