AT Banter Episode 87 – Grumpy Old Men and a Cowbell

This week Ryan, Steve, Rob, and Mr Cowbell sleepily enter the Guitar Dungeon and tackle a few news stories including some local Accessibility news, how the first wave of HomePod reviews have looked, and the acquisition of Enhanced Vision by VFO.

Show Notes

Blind B.C. woman’s access to audiobooks threatened by political flap
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/blind-b-c-womans-access-to-audio-books-threatened-by-political-flap

TransLink unveils accessible fare-gate program for SkyTrain, SeaBus
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/translink-to-unveil-accessible-transit-fare-gate-program-for-skytrain

Apple’s HomePod delivers on brilliant sound, but Siri still has room to grow
https://www.digitaltrends.com/smart-home-reviews/apple-homepod-review/

Enhanced Vision and VFO, with the Freedom Scientific and Optelec Brands are Joining Forces in Assistive Technology Merger
https://www.freedomscientific.com/About/News/Article/192

AT Banter Episode 86 – Jon Dibble and Enhanced Vision

It’s a very special episode as Ryan, Rob, and Steve welcome the first ever in-person guest to the Guitar Dungeon. Jon Dibble, Marketing Manager from Enhanced Vision braves the harsh Vancouver climate in exchange for beer in order to talk to us about what Enhanced Vision does, how the Low Vision industry has changed over the years and where it might go in the future.

Show Notes
Enhanced Vision
www.enhancedvision.com

AT Banter Episode 85 – Mental Health and Disability with Ryan Sturgeon

This week Rob and Ryan are joined by Ryan Sturgeon, Rick Hansen Foundation Ambassador and Community Mental Health Worker. We discuss the challenges people within the Disability community who also deal with mental illness face and the ways in which everyone can improve their mental health.

Mental Health and Mindfullness for People With Disabilities
http://www.rickhansen.com/Blog/ArtMID/13094/ArticleID/159/Mental-health-and-mindfulness-for-people-with-disabilities

Brandon Wheelchair Sports
http://www.brandonwheelchairsports.ca

AT Banter Episode 84 – Shawn Kirkpatrick and Loadstone GPS

Rob, Ryan, and Mr. Cowbell (Steve is away this week) discuss Smart Phones and their impact on the human condition before turning the microphones at Shawn Kirkpatrick, developer of the long standing accessible GPS app, Loadstone.

Show Notes

Your Smartphone is Making You Stupid
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/your-smartphone-is-making-you-stupid/article37511900/

Google Home Holiday Sales Figures
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/5/16855982/google-home-sales-figures-holidays-2017

Loadstone GPS for the Blind
http://www.loadstone-gps.com/

AT Banter Episode 81 – Christmas at the Super 8

Happy Holidays! It’s time once again for our Christmas tradition at AT Banter where we take a break from our regular subjects and tackle all things Christmas! Rick, Rob, Steve and Ryan share some Holiday memories while finding a little time to chat about Seeing Ai’s new updates as well as some opinions on the Net Neutrality decision.

Show Notes

Seeing AI Gets Major Update
https://coolblindtech.com/microsofts-seeing-ai-app-gets-major-update-and-is-now-available-in-35-countries/

Google Duo
https://duo.google.com/

AT Banter Episode 80 – David Nason and AppleVis

This week Rick Chant from Chaos Technical Services sits in while we welcome David Nason, contributor to the the Apple-centric Assistive Technology website AppleVis into the Guitar Dungeon. We discuss all things Apple, talk a lot about the new iPhone X, and dive into some of the past and present accessibility features within Apple products.

Show Notes

AppleVis Website
https://www.applevis.com/

AT Banter is brought to you by Canadian Assistive Technology, providing sales and training in Assistive Technology and Accessibility with over 30 years of knowledge and experience. Visit them online at www.canasstech.com or call toll-free 1-844-795-8324.

Need repairs on your device? Chaos Technical Services offers service and support on almost any piece of Assistive Technology, while also providing parts and batteries. Visit them online at www.chaosstechnicalservices.com or call 778-847-6840.

AT Banter Episode 79 – Brad Turner and Benetech

This week we welcome Brad Turner, VP of Education at Benetech into the Guitar Dungeon where we discuss the company’s ongoing mandate of providing positive social change utilizing technology. Also, we discuss some big news for Steve’s company, Canadian Assistive Technology.

Show Notes
Benetech
https://benetech.org

AT Banter Episode 78 – Introducing the iStraw and Other News

It’s everybody’s favorite time of the month – and yes, we’re referring to our Monthly News Show! Rick Chant from Chaos Technical Services joins us to banter about some of the past few weeks’ most interesting news stories.

Show Notes

Apple delays HomePod launch until ‘early 2018

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/11/17/apple-pushes-homepod-launch-into-early-2018

Report: 6 million iPhone X units sold over Black Friday weekend, buyers favor more expensive 256 GB model

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/28/black-friday-iphone-x-sales/

Hulu sued for not offering audio service for blind customers

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/hulu-sued-for-not-offering-audio-service-for-blind-customers/2017/11/21/726a646a-cef6-11e7-a87b-47f14b73162a_story.html?tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.4d3650f41748

Uber service animal policy under fire for ‘doctor’s or cleric’s letter’ exemption

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2017/11/20/uber-service-animal-policy-under-fire-for-doctors-or-clerics-letter-exemption

3D printer makes first wearable ‘battery’

https://blog.adafruit.com/2017/11/22/3d-printer-makes-first-wearable-battery/