AT Banter Episode 180 – Baby It’s The Christmas Episode

It’s that time again! The stockings are all hung in the Guitar Dungeon, and the tequila is all poured with care! Rick from Chaos Technical Services joins us for our Annual Christmas episode where we reminisce about holiday shows past, talk some Christmas controversies, play some trivia, and exchange presents! Pour some eggnog and pull up a chair to the fire and join us for the last show of the year! Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday Season to all!

AT Banter Episode 179 – Canute 360

It’s our last regular show of the year! This week we welcome Liam Smith from Bristol Braille, makers of the forthcoming Braille e-reader the Canute 360. We get the latest updates on the status of the first production run as well as finding out what the development process has been like and what makes this new Braille device special.

Show Notes

Bristol Braille
Pre-Order the Canute 360

AT Banter Episode 178 – Ryan’s Story

It’s another guerilla podcast as Rob and Ryan deal with a last minute guest cancellation and discuss a few news stories instead. Then, to Ryan’s delight, Rob turns the mics on him for an in-depth personal interview about his Blindness and his path into the Assistive Technology industry.

Show Notes

Translink to Upgrade Transit System for the Visually Impaired
https://globalnews.ca/news/6264724/translink-to-spend-7m-to-upgrade-transit-system-for-the-visually-impaired/
Target expands Aira service for blind and low-vision customers
https://www.supermarketnews.com/issues-trends/target-expands-aira-service-blind-and-low-vision-customers

AT Banter Episode 176 – Our Very Special Episode

This week on a very special AT Banter, the boys hold their own version of Listener Appreciation Day and welcome long time listener Beth aka Snow Bunny into the Guitar Dungeon for a bit of a stream-of-consciousness discussion which covers everything from the future of Assistive Technology to Smart Devices and privacy and everything in between. Oh, and Ryan gets fired.

Show Notes

New Smart Cane Aims to Integrate Blind People More into Daily Life
Bronwyn Berg put spikes on her wheelchair to deter people from grabbing it without consent

AT Banter Episode 175 – Chanting and Bantering

It’s a full house this week as Rick and Nicole Chant, the father/ daughter team at Chaos Technical Services, visits the Guitar Dungeon to help the boys discuss a few news stories from the past few weeks. They talk about the latest Canadian scandal before we launch into Google is doing to expand the usability of their Home devices, more Accessibility lawsuits and a very worthwhile awareness day.

Show Notes

Don Cherry Fired

People with Down syndrome have trouble using smart speakers. Here’s how Google’s trying to help

Blind Employee Sues Beacon Health

Purple Tuesday

AT Banter Episode 174 – Javier Pita and NaviLens

The boys have recovered from the Halloween show and transubstantiated back into their normal selves just in time to welcome Javier Pita, CEO of NaviLens, into the Guitar Dungeon all the way from sunny Spain! We discuss this innovate new variation of QR codes and its many applications, including as a navigation system for the visually impaired.

Show Notes

Legally Blind Man Files Human Rights Complaint
NaviLens
NaviLens Demonstration

AT Banter Episode 172 – Matthew Shifrin and Accessible LEGO

This week we’re excited to welcome Matthew Shifrin, creator of the website Lego for the Blind, into the Guitar Dungeon where he explains the origin of his step by step instructions for multiple LEGO sets as well as how it came out that LEGO followed suit and began to develop their own pilot project for Braille and audio instructions.

Show Notes

Microsoft AI for Accessibility
LEGO for the Blind

LEGO Audio and Braille Instructions
How LEGO Helps Blind People See

AT Banter Episode 171 – Brett Oppegaard and UniD Project

This week we travel all the way to Hawaii (yeah, we wish) and talk to Dr. Brett Oppegaard about The UniD Project, whose mandate is to create more vivid and robust audio descriptions for the visually impaired. We discuss the project’s origins, its mandates and its first phase which is providing audio description at National Parks.

Show Notes

Uber Introduces Pet Uber
The UniD Project