AT Banter Episode 191 – Last Virus Episode, We Promise!

Well it’s another week and most of us here on the planet are still in some level of stay at home or lock down. COVID-19 is all most people are still talking about and that includes many advocate and members of the Disability Community. Rick, Rob, and Steve discuss several of the latest news stories about how COVID-19 is impacting the community and postulate on what might happen once things return to normal.

Show Notes

We’re Proving Remote Work Is Possible. That’s Good News for People with Disabilities

The coronavirus crisis proves reasonable workplace accessibility has been possible all along

COVID-19’s isolated world is the norm for people with disabilities

Concerns being raised about Ontarians with disabilities during COVID-19

People with disabilities are the forgotten vulnerable community in the age of COVID-19

The Coronavirus Response Shows How Crucial Accessibility Is

AT Banter Episode 190 – Maintain Your Sanity While Maintaining Your Distance

Rob, Steve, and Rick may be the last people on the planet that anyone should take advice on maintaining their sanity, but they come together remotely to do their best all the same. The virus has us all shut in and isolating, which can be even more of a challenge for people with disabilities. This week the boys step through some ideas of what to do in order to maintain a positive attitude and sanity while at home and share some of their own strategies and stories.

Show Notes

Accessibyte Platform Free
https://www.accessibyte.com/stay-safe

JAWS Screen Reader Free
https://www.freedomscientific.com/

Supernova Screen Reader Free
https://yourdolphin.com/en-gb/news?id=480

Lynda Online Courses
https://www.lynda.com/

Blind Alive
https://www.blindalive.com/

Who’s Zooming Who
https://canasstech.com/blogs/news/whos-zooming-who

Zoom Online Meeting
https://zoom.us/

AT Banter Episode 189 – The Show Must Go On

We may be in the middle of a global pandemic, and Ryan is taking a hiatus, but the show must go on! Rob, Steve and Rick discuss the announcement of some new forthcoming braille devices from Orbit research before launching into an extended conversation about what is on everyone’s mind these days – the impact of the COVID-19 virus and some of the ways it is impacting communities.

Show Notes

Orbit Research Announces a Trio of New Braille Products
CORVID-19 Virus – What do Older Adults and People with Disabilities Need to Know?

CORVID-19 Restrictions Put Extra Burden on Blind Community

AT Banter Episode 188 – All About the ADA

This week we get a lesson about the USA’s disability legislation, the Americans with Disabilities Act, from Jessica Sanders and Christine Sket from Braille Works. We discuss everything from the scope of the Act itself to the Domino’s Pizza court case that went before the Supreme Court last year, as well as what it means for Accessibility going forward.

Show Notes

ADA Website
BrailleWorks

AT Banter Episode 186 – Eric Damery

It’s an exciting show this week as Rob and Ryan welcome Eric Damery, Vice President of Software Management at Vispero, makers of the ever popular JAWS Screen Reading Software.  We wax nostalgic about the computing landscape of the 90s and discuss what it was like developing a screen reader during that period and how it compares to the current development cycle before discussing what the future holds for JAWS.

Show Notes

JAWS Screen Reader
JAWS Support and Training

AT Banter Episode 184 – The Rant Show

It’s the first News show of the new year! Today Rob, Ryan and Steve rant about a few new stories that are near and dear to their hearts including taxi cabs, Web Accessibility, and the future of haptic devices.

Show Notes

Vancouver taxi companies stop subsidizing drivers of accessible vehicles, cite ride-hailing competition

One Year to Countdown to Web Accessibility Begins in Ontario

Accessibee Aims to Get People With Disabilities Online by 2025

UPMC is First to Implant Wireless Retinal Device in the US

AT Banter Episode 183 – Two Blind Brothers

Well, after 182 episodes, the unthinkable has finally happened: Rob has fallen ill enough to miss the show! Will our intrepid co-hosts, Ryan and Steve, be able to pick up the slack and stop giggling long enough to welcome clothing entrepreneurs Bradford and Bryan Manning to the show? Find out in this week’s exciting episode of AT Banter!

Show Notes

Two Blind Brothers Website
Two Blind Brothers Facebook

AT Banter Episode 182 – A Close-Up Look at NVDA

This week we welcome back Quentin Christensen from NDVA into the Guitar Dungeon to talk about all the new features of the free screen reader and discuss the state of screen readers overall. Somewhere in there we also find the time to discuss a few new products from CES and obscure 80s movie references. Jam packed show!

Show Notes

NVDA
https://www.nvaccess.org/

Relaxed Theatre Performances