AT Banter Episode 143 – Richard Harlow

This week we’re visited by local visually impaired artist, advocate, motivational speaker and self-proclaimed Renaissance Man, Richard Harlow. Richard tells us how he was first diagnosed with the rare condition LHON, how it impacted his life, and how it eventually saw him begin a life of advocacy that resulted in the city of Nanaimo adopting a new Accessibility icon.

Show Notes

Delta Air Lines bans young puppies and kittens as support animals
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/us/delta-airlines-bans-support-animals-trnd/index.html
A look at TTC accessibility through the eyes of a rider who uses two canes
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2019/03/10/a-look-at-ttc-accessibility-through-the-eyes-of-a-rider-who-uses-two-canes.html
Richard Harlow Interview from Times Colonist
https://www.timescolonist.com/how-artist-richard-harlow-changed-his-style-after-going-blind-1.22756732

Episode 142 - Shawn Marsolais and Blind Beginnings

AT Banter Episode 142 – Shawn Marsolais and Blind Beginnings

This week we’re excited to welcome back Shawn Marsolais, Founder and Executive Director of Blind Beginnings to the Guitar Dungeon. We catch up with what Blind Beginnings has been up to for the past year and discuss some of the issues that visually impaired people face on a day to day basis and what solutions and programs Blind Beginnings is actively working on.

Show Notes

Walmart Is Phasing Out ‘Greeters’ In U.S.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/02/28/walmart-greeters_a_23680761/
Dentists No Longer Permitted To Turn Away Patients Due To Disabilities
https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2019/02/28/dentists-turn-away-disabilities/26093/
The writing of this AI is so human that its creators are scared to release it
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ai-writer-disinformation-1.5030305
Blind Beginnings
https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/

For those in the Lower Mainland who want to help support Blind Beginnings and the work they do, get your tickets to the 9th Annual Gala Dinner and Online Auction, April 6th 6 – 10:30pm. Purchase tickets here: https://www.blindbeginnings.ca/donations/2019-gala-dinner-auction/

AT Banter Episode 141 – Rebecca Blaevoet and Tactile Vision Graphics

Recently, a small Braille and Tactile Graphics company in Windsor, Ontario was awarded a licensing deal that allows them to produce a series of Braille and Tactile Graphic activity books for children. This week we’re joined by Rebecca Blaevoet, accountant and marketer for Tactile Vision Graphics, who gives us some insight on what it was like to be awarded this huge licensing deal, its implications for visually impaired children, and the importance of Braille Literacy.

Show Notes

Woman with disability banned from No Frills store after failing to pack groceries fast enough
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/disabled-woman-banned-from-no-frills-1.5028056
Okanagan Parents Voice Concern Over New School District App Accessibility
https://globalnews.ca/news/4996759/accessibility-digital-age-okanagan-parent-voices-concern/
Tactile Vision Graphics
https://tactilevisiongraphics.com/