AT Banter Episode 117 – Haptic Boxing and Other Bad Ideas

The end is here! Well, the end of the month anyways, which means it’s time for our monthly news show! Joining us to discuss the latest in disability news is Colleen Connor, host of Blind Inspiration Cast, who brings the estrogen to the conversations which range from talking about a new tech that could help deaf-blind people enjoy live television broadcasts to yet more talk of robotic guide dogs.

Show Notes

New tech helps deaf-blind people ‘watch’ TV

How Google has stepped up its efforts to makes its own tech more accessible to the disabled

Anirudh Koul joins Aira as Head of Artificial Intelligence and Research

Apple being sued over inaccessible website

ASU Team wins competition with robot seeing Guide Dog

Blind Inspiration Cast

Audio Description Retreats

AT Banter Episode 115 – Dot Inc

We go international all the way to South Korea this week and connect with the folks at Dot Inc to talk about their new product, the Dot Watch. We talk about the unique technology that drives this accessible Smart device as well as discuss plans for forthcoming products. We also learn magnets are cool!

Show Notes

Dot Watch on the Web
https://dotincorp.com/

Dot Watch on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pg/dotsmartbraillewatch

AT Banter Episode 114 – Mike May

Rob and Ryan take shelter from the Vancouver August heat in the cool confines of the Guitar Dungeon to talk with no other than Mike May, founder of Sendero Group and pioneer in the field of GPS Assistive Technology. And as if that isn’t enough, we also talk to him about his downhill skiing career and what it’s like to hold the speed skiing record in downhill for a totally blind person (which is, for the record, 65 mph).

Show Notes

BVI Workforce Innovation Center

Sendero Group

AT Banter Episode 111 – Mark Kingwell and the Red Pill

This week it’s time for something completely different. Mark Kingwell, Canadian professor of philosophy and associate chair at the University of Toronto’s Department of Philosophy joins us in the Guitar Dungeon for a rousing discussion about AI and technology and its current and potential impact on our society. Get ready to take the red pill and take a deep dive into The Matrix with those one, folks!

Show Notes

Mark Kingwell Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kingwell

AT Banter Episode 108 – The End of SausageFest

This week we’re thrilled to be adding a bit of estrogen to the mix and welcoming Maria Johnson aka Girl Gone Blind into the Guitar Dungeon to help us talk about a few of the Accessibility-related news stories of the last few weeks.

Show Notes

Google Rebrands TalkBack into Android Accessibility Suite
https://9to5google.com/2018/06/20/google-talkback-android-accessibility-suite/

Microsoft Invests 25 million into AI Tech for Disability Solutions
https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/640866/microsoft-invests-25m-into-ai-tech-disability-solutions/?_lrsc=11f4a7f1-8798-40bc-8b68-5c6c8400a08e

Customer Experiences with AI
https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakemorgan/2018/06/15/building-beautiful-customer-experiences-with-ai/#2258bb3a1b72

The Proposed Accessible Canada Act
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/news/2018/06/minister-duncan-introduces-the-proposed-accessible-canada-act.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/accessible-people-disabilities/act-plain-language-summary.html

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/canada/2018/06/21/disability-rights-advocates-welcome-national-legislation.html?__twitter_impression=true

Continued Conversations with Google
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/21/continuned-conversation-google-assistant-starts-rolling-today/

Plastic Overlay Makes Reading Easier for Blind iPad Users
https://coolblindtech.com/plastic-overlay-makes-reading-easier-for-blind-ipad-users/

Morid Alexa Comment
https://amp.hothardware.com/news/alexa-sees-dying-people#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Girl Gone Blind
https://www.facebook.com/girlgoneblind/

AT Banter Episode 102 – Google-palooza

It’s a totally Google-rific show this week as we welcome no less than 5 Google employees spanning over two interviews, talking about many different accessibility projects! On the heels of Google I/O we talk with members of the Google Accessibility Team Kyndra LaCoco, Patrick Clary, and Victor Tsaran about the conference and the announcements that were made. Then if that wasn’t enough, we chat with Rodrigo Alarcon and Nienke Vonsee about the newly announced Accessibility lessons added to the Google Primer app. That’s a lot of Google for your money, folks!

Show Notes

Google Accessibility

Email Google Accessibility

BrailleBack Beta Signups
If you’d like to sign up for BrailleBack beta, you’ll need to sign up to be a member of the eyes-free community and then sign up to become a beta tester

Google Accessibility Blog

Trusted Tester Program

Google Primer on the Web

Get Google Primer in the App Store

AT Banter Podcast Episode 101 – The Anniversary Show II

Can you believe it’s been two years and over 100 episodes? We take a break from our regular format and invite friend of the show and owner of Chaos Technical Services Rick Chant into the Guitar Dungeon where we reminisce and engage in some free form conversations. We talk about everything from the state of AI Assistants to the idea of disability as loss and everything in between, including Gibraltar monkeys. Yes, you read that right – you’ll just have to listen to see how that happens. So, break out the tequila shots and join us for this Birthday episode!

Show Notes

Sneaky Weasel Beer

Ford’s New Smart Window

AT Banter Episode 95 – The Return of the Jinglestick

It’s the last show of the month and it’s time for us to round up March with a show dedicated to some of the most recent AT-related news of the past few weeks. We talk about everything from Steve’s misadventures getting to CSUN to Apple’s new proposed Disability Inclusive Emojis and everything in between!

Show Notes

Uber Self Driving Car Death Should Have Been Able to Be Avoided
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5535969/Uber-self-driving-car-death-avoided.html
Americans Less Likely to Trust Facebook
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-cambridge-analytica-apology/americans-less-likely-to-trust-facebook-than-rivals-on-personal-data-idUSKBN1H10AF
HIMS Announces New Polaris Mini
https://blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=18641
Gradutate Student Creating Smartphone App for Deaf Blind
https://coolblindtech.com/graduate-student-creating-smartphone-app-for-deaf-blind-users/
Apple Proposes Adding Disability-Inclusive Emojis to the Unicode Consortium
https://themighty.com/2018/03/apple-proposes-new-emojis-disability
Microsoft Adding New Accessibility Improvements in Windows 10
https://coolblindtech.com/microsoft-adding-new-accessibility-improvements-in-windows-10/
AT&T Collaborates With Aira to Develop New AI Powered Prescription Medication Reader
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/att-collaborates-with-aira-to-develop-new-ai-powered-prescription-medication-reader-300608402.html

AT Banter Episode 92 – The Inclusio Project

For the first time ever, we welcome two guests onto the show: Anita Hofer from Accessible Housing, a non-profit organization from Calgary that builds accessible and affordable housing and Mike Dummer, owner of Digital Lifestyles the company that was responsible for installing and maintaining the automation and accessibility features of AH’s new Inclusio Development.

Show Notes
Microsoft Soundscape
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/soundscape/
Accessible Housing
http://accessiblehousing.ca/
Digital Lifestyles
http://digilife.ca/
Inclusio Tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WarhKYe-OZ0

AT Banter Episode 91 – Let’s All Move to Norway

This week Steve’s out with a bug and long time listener of the show Ali Moussa steps in to help us talk about some Accessibility related news items from the last few weeks!

Show Notes
Man Seeks New Copy of Windows 7 After Forced Windows 10 Upgrade
https://yro.slashdot.org/story/18/02/19/1550230/man-seeking-new-copy-of-windows-7-after-forced-windows-10-upgrade-sues-microsoft?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=twitter
Blindfold Games Now Offers Braille Support
https://blindfoldgames.org/2018/02/19/blindfold-games-with-braille-displays/
It’s Illegal in Norway to Have An Inaccessible Website
https://medium.com/confrere/its-illegal-to-have-an-inaccessible-website-in-norway-and-that-s-good-news-for-all-of-us-b59a9e929d54
NeuroNode
http://www.eastersealstech.com/2018/02/20/neuronode-emg-assistive-technology-device/?utm_content=buffer98716&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Google Assistant Firmaware Updates