AT Banter Episode 74 – This is Halloween (Again)

Happy Halloween! This week it’s our annual Halloween show, and Ryan has dressed up the Guitar Dungeon to be even spookier than it is normally! Rick Chant from Chaos Technical Services sits in as we answer from Listener emails, talk about a few recent Assistive Technology items in the news, and then launch into bantering about all things Halloween while eating way too much candy.

Show Notes

Don’t Blame Batteries for Every Lithium Ion Explosion
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/dont-blame-batteries-every-lithium-ion-explosion/

Most Popular Halloween Candy by State
http://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/halloween/g4584/most-popular-halloween-candy-america/

Best and Worst Halloween candy
http://www.eatthis.com/halloween-candies-ranked/

2017 Most Popular Halloween costumes
http://time.com/4989367/most-popular-halloween-costumes-2017/

8 Super Weird Things You Didn’t Know About Halloween
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/halloween-weird-facts_n_5948456

AT Banter Episode 69 – Junk in the Trunk

Rob, Ryan and Steve are back to basics with one of their patented stream-of-consciousness News shows, joined by Chaos Technical Service’s Rick Chant. Listen in as they discuss everything from fruit fly genitalia to hijacked voice assistants, and everything in between!

Show Notes

These Disabled Americans Are Getting Dragged Out and Arrested for Demonstrating Over Healthcare
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a12466578/disabled-protesters-healthcare-hearing/

Al Franken raises concerns about Apple’s FaceID

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/us-senator-questions-face-id-privacy-security/

Wearables Fashion Show at the Accessibility Innovation Showcase at Invictus Games  https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/09/23/wearable-assistive-technology-will-hit-the-runway-at-invictus-showcase.html

Google assistant comes to Bose head phones
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/135419/google-assistant-comes-bose-headphones

Amazon brings new accessibility to Fire devices
https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/ter2a57g6htm6mr

Your future sex robot could be hacked and programmed to murder you
http://bgr.com/2017/09/11/sex-robot-hack-security-cyborg/

Internet of cells
http://www.nature.com/news/how-the-internet-of-cells-has-biologists-buzzing-1.22645

Hijacked Voice Assistants
https://coolblindtech.com/how-alexa-siri-google-assistant-can-be-listening-without-you-knowing-it/?utm_source=ReviveOldPost&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ReviveOldPost

Google Chrome Will No Longer Autoplay Content With Sound In January 2018
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/09/15/2232241/google-chrome-will-no-longer-autoplay-content-with-sound-in-january-2018

AT Banter Episode 61 – Full Nelson

This week we slow things down and engage in a bit of free form with guest co-host Nelson Régo from the Cool Blind Tech Podcast. Among the topics are a new Assistive Device, the development of a musical instrument that you play with your mind, some of the societal implications of autonomous cars, and Apple’s new foray into the digital assistant arena, the HomePod.

Show Notes
GlassOuse Assistive Device
Despite not knowing what syllable to put the emphasis on, we talk about this new mousing alternative that allows users a headpointing option that doesn’t require a onscreen keyboard.

Newly-developed hands-free musical instrument now allows people to make music with their minds
We talk a bit about Thomas Deuel’s Encephalophone and ponder just how it works and the implications for alternate access and rehabilitation. Also, we marvel that it’s really neat.

What’s Taking So Long for Driverless Cars to Go Mainstream?
Next up we discuss Fortune’s article regarding the societal impact of autonomous vehicles and make some completely unwarranted predictions on their future.

Google Maps now lets users add wheelchair accessibility details for locations
We discuss briefly this new crowdsourcing effort by Google to make Google Maps an even better source of information regarding accessible locations.

Apple’s New HomePod
Lastly, we talk about Apple throwing its hat into the digital assistant ring and discuss the specs and how it might compete with Google Home and the Amazon Echo.

AT Banter Episode 56 – Debra Ruh

We’re honored to be chatting with Debra Ruh, founder and CEO of Ruh Global Communication, and talk with her about the worldwide state of accessibility and inclusion in today’s corporate community.

Show Notes
Ruh Global Communications
Human Potential at Work Podcast
AXSChat

AT Banter Episode 33 – Molly Watt

This week we’re thrilled to be talking to Molly Watt, passionate advocate for inclusive technology, co founder of the Molly Watt Trust, director of usability consulting firm Molly Watt Limited, blogger, and children’s book author and illustrator (she does it all, folks!).

Show Notes
Molly Watt Limited
Hear No, See No, Techno: Molly Watt (YouTube Video)

AT Banter Episode 2 – June 1, 2016

Our second episode! We paid for the mics, we’re going to use them! Today we talk about Assistive Technology assessments, Apple Watches, and discuss the terms ‘Assistive Technology’ and ‘Disability’.

Show Notes
Process of Considering Assistive Technology
From Smart to Dumb: My First Year With an Apple Watch
BrailleNote Touch Notetaker from Humanware
The Line Between Accessory and Assistive Technology

AT Banter Podcast – Episode 1

Well, today marks our inaugural episode of AT Banter, where we chat about the iTunes Accessibility Store, Windows 10’s free upgrade being extended for those using Assistive Technology, the NuEyes Glasses Visual Prosthetic, and Dictation Bridge.

Show Notes
Apple Begins Selling Accessibility Accessories on its Online Store
Windows 10 free upgrade deadline won’t apply to assistive-technology customers
NuEyes – A Removable Visual Prosthetic Featuring ODG Smartglasses
DictationBridge