AT Banter Episode 178 – Ryan’s Story

It’s another guerilla podcast as Rob and Ryan deal with a last minute guest cancellation and discuss a few news stories instead. Then, to Ryan’s delight, Rob turns the mics on him for an in-depth personal interview about his Blindness and his path into the Assistive Technology industry.

Show Notes

Translink to Upgrade Transit System for the Visually Impaired
https://globalnews.ca/news/6264724/translink-to-spend-7m-to-upgrade-transit-system-for-the-visually-impaired/
Target expands Aira service for blind and low-vision customers
https://www.supermarketnews.com/issues-trends/target-expands-aira-service-blind-and-low-vision-customers

AT Banter Episode 177 – Seeing Invisible Disabilities

Ever wonder why the person in the next cubicle over never shakes anybody’s hand? We may have the answer for you as we dive into the very important topic of invisible disabilities and talk with Jess Stainbrook, Executive Director at the Invisible Disabilities Association.

Show Notes

Invisible Disabilities Association

AT Banter Episode 175 – Chanting and Bantering

It’s a full house this week as Rick and Nicole Chant, the father/ daughter team at Chaos Technical Services, visits the Guitar Dungeon to help the boys discuss a few news stories from the past few weeks. They talk about the latest Canadian scandal before we launch into Google is doing to expand the usability of their Home devices, more Accessibility lawsuits and a very worthwhile awareness day.

Show Notes

Don Cherry Fired

People with Down syndrome have trouble using smart speakers. Here’s how Google’s trying to help

Blind Employee Sues Beacon Health

Purple Tuesday

AT Banter Episode 174 – Javier Pita and NaviLens

The boys have recovered from the Halloween show and transubstantiated back into their normal selves just in time to welcome Javier Pita, CEO of NaviLens, into the Guitar Dungeon all the way from sunny Spain! We discuss this innovate new variation of QR codes and its many applications, including as a navigation system for the visually impaired.

Show Notes

Legally Blind Man Files Human Rights Complaint
NaviLens
NaviLens Demonstration

AT Banter Episode 172 – Matthew Shifrin and Accessible LEGO

This week we’re excited to welcome Matthew Shifrin, creator of the website Lego for the Blind, into the Guitar Dungeon where he explains the origin of his step by step instructions for multiple LEGO sets as well as how it came out that LEGO followed suit and began to develop their own pilot project for Braille and audio instructions.

Show Notes

Microsoft AI for Accessibility
LEGO for the Blind

LEGO Audio and Braille Instructions
How LEGO Helps Blind People See

AT Banter Episode 171 – Brett Oppegaard and UniD Project

This week we travel all the way to Hawaii (yeah, we wish) and talk to Dr. Brett Oppegaard about The UniD Project, whose mandate is to create more vivid and robust audio descriptions for the visually impaired. We discuss the project’s origins, its mandates and its first phase which is providing audio description at National Parks.

Show Notes

Uber Introduces Pet Uber
The UniD Project

AT Banter Episode 170 – Pacific Assistance Dogs Society

It’s a Dog Day Afternoon in the Guitar Dungeon as we break some big news concerning the Domino’s Pizza Accessibility lawsuit before welcoming in Tara Dougherty from the Pacific Assistance Dogs Society for a discussion about (almost) everyone’s favorite topic — puppies!

Show Notes

Supreme Court Denies Domino’s
Pacific Assistance Dogs Society

AT Banter Episode 168 – What’s New with Aira

It’s a big show this week as Rob, Steve, and Ryan discuss a range of big topics, including climate change, ape uprisings and even find some time to manage to touch on the accessibility features of iOS 13 before welcoming on Jenine Stanley, Explorer Community Manager at Aira to discuss what’s new with the innovative service for people with Blindness or Low Vision.

Show Notes

Aira
What’s New in Accessibility with iOS 13

AT Banter Episode 165 – David Errington

Steve makes his somewhat triumphant return to the show for the first show of the Fall season where we discuss a new Audible accessibility feature that is under fire from publishers before we welcome David Errington, President and CEO of Accessible Media Inc, into the Guitar Dungeon.

Show Notes

Major book publishers sue Amazon’s Audible over new speech-to-text feature
Accessible Media Inc

AT Banter Episode 164 – Derek Featherstone

It’s the last show of the summer and we celebrate by welcoming in Derek Featherstone, Chief Experience Officer at Level Access and Accessibility Rock Star, into the Guitar Dungeon for an extended discussion of Digital Accessibility. We discuss everything from how the industry has changed to the new Accessible Canada Act and what needs to happen to drive Accessibility forward.

Show Notes

Watch Derek’s Accessibility Presentation, “Where Accessibility Lives”
Level Access