AT Banter Episode 200 – Diane Johnson Returns

We celebrate our 200th episode by welcoming back one of our old friends of the show, Diane Johnson Head of the Descriptive Video Works Studio. It’s hard to believe it’s been 4 years since she’s been on, but we manage a refresher course on the importance of Audio Description and get an idea of how much has changed in the industry and who is leading the charge in terms of audio described content.

Show Notes

Descriptive Video Works

Audio Description Project

AT Banter Episode 199 – Mike Calvo and Pneuma Solutions

The Anti-Gloom Zoom Room is opened up once again this week and Rob, Steve and Ryan welcome in Mike Calvo, long time Assistive Technology veteran and CEO of Pneuma Solutions to talk all about the importance of accessible documents and what Pneuma Solutions is doing to help.

Show Notes

Pneuma Solutions

Scribe Remediation

AT Banter Episode 198 – Michelle Woods and the Marrakesh Treaty

Ryan, Steve and Rob go international this week as they welcome Michelle Woods, Director of Copyright Law Division at the World Intellectual Property Organization into the Anti-Gloom Zoom Room to help break down the Marrakesh Treaty and what it means for the production and distribution of accessible books worldwide.

Show Notes

World Intellectual Property Organization

Accessible Books Consortium

AT Banter Episode 197 – Len Baker and March of Dimes Canada

Ryan, Steve and Rob celebrate National Accessibility week in the Anti-Gloom Zoom Room by inviting in Len Baker, president of March of Dimes Canada, one of the oldest and largest charities in Canada that advocates for people with disabilities, to talk about what the organization mission and how it has dealt with the current COVID crisis.

Show Notes

March of Dimes Canada

AT Banter Episode 193 – Blind Beginnings Goes Virtual

Rob and Steve welcome their first official guest into the Anti-Gloom Zoom Room this week! Shawn Marsolais, Founder and Executive Director of Blind Beginnings, joins them to discuss how the organization has adjusted its programs in response to the COVID-19 crisis and the implications going forward.

Show Notes

Blind Beginnings

“Changing Our World” Blind Beginnings Video

AT Banter Episode 191 – Last Virus Episode, We Promise!

Well it’s another week and most of us here on the planet are still in some level of stay at home or lock down. COVID-19 is all most people are still talking about and that includes many advocate and members of the Disability Community. Rick, Rob, and Steve discuss several of the latest news stories about how COVID-19 is impacting the community and postulate on what might happen once things return to normal.

Show Notes

We’re Proving Remote Work Is Possible. That’s Good News for People with Disabilities

The coronavirus crisis proves reasonable workplace accessibility has been possible all along

COVID-19’s isolated world is the norm for people with disabilities

Concerns being raised about Ontarians with disabilities during COVID-19

People with disabilities are the forgotten vulnerable community in the age of COVID-19

The Coronavirus Response Shows How Crucial Accessibility Is

AT Banter Episode 190 – Maintain Your Sanity While Maintaining Your Distance

Rob, Steve, and Rick may be the last people on the planet that anyone should take advice on maintaining their sanity, but they come together remotely to do their best all the same. The virus has us all shut in and isolating, which can be even more of a challenge for people with disabilities. This week the boys step through some ideas of what to do in order to maintain a positive attitude and sanity while at home and share some of their own strategies and stories.

Show Notes

Accessibyte Platform Free
https://www.accessibyte.com/stay-safe

JAWS Screen Reader Free
https://www.freedomscientific.com/

Supernova Screen Reader Free
https://yourdolphin.com/en-gb/news?id=480

Lynda Online Courses
https://www.lynda.com/

Blind Alive
https://www.blindalive.com/

Who’s Zooming Who
https://canasstech.com/blogs/news/whos-zooming-who

Zoom Online Meeting
https://zoom.us/

AT Banter Episode 189 – The Show Must Go On

We may be in the middle of a global pandemic, and Ryan is taking a hiatus, but the show must go on! Rob, Steve and Rick discuss the announcement of some new forthcoming braille devices from Orbit research before launching into an extended conversation about what is on everyone’s mind these days – the impact of the COVID-19 virus and some of the ways it is impacting communities.

Show Notes

Orbit Research Announces a Trio of New Braille Products
CORVID-19 Virus – What do Older Adults and People with Disabilities Need to Know?

CORVID-19 Restrictions Put Extra Burden on Blind Community

AT Banter Episode 188 – All About the ADA

This week we get a lesson about the USA’s disability legislation, the Americans with Disabilities Act, from Jessica Sanders and Christine Sket from Braille Works. We discuss everything from the scope of the Act itself to the Domino’s Pizza court case that went before the Supreme Court last year, as well as what it means for Accessibility going forward.

Show Notes

ADA Website
BrailleWorks