AT Banter Episode 149 – Noah Callan and Disability Tek

Rob, Ryan, and Steve cover a few news stories of the week and then are joined by Noah Callan, CEO and founder of the website Disability Tek.  Noah discusses his excitement about assistive technology, what impact it’s had on his life, and the state of Apple Accessibility.

Show Notes

Intuitive Limbs: The New Era In Prosthetic Technology
https://www.forbes.com/video/6000038875001/#192bb3472c57
Toronto’s only operating cannabis retail store not wheelchair accessible on opening day
https://globalnews.ca/news/5120247/hunny-pot-cannabis-co-accessibility-toronto/

Third of blind people have been hit or narrowly missed by electric car
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6914721/Blind-people-hit-narrowly-missed-electric-car.html

British scientists on cusp of curing blindness with stem cells
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6919821/British-scientists-say-theyre-cusp-curing-blindness-stem-cell-treatment.html

Disability Tek
https://www.disabilitytek.com

Sesquicentennial Episode Extravaganza!

Time really does fly when you’re having fun! None of us here at the podcast can believe that we’ve managed to record and produce 150 episodes of the AT Banter Podcast, but the math doesn’t lie!

When we sat around in the Guitar Dungeon trying to come up with ideas of what we could do that was special this year for our anniversary (other than recording an episode while consuming tequila shots and making complete asses of ourselves), we once again revisited the idea of a “live” show.

For years, Ryan has been suggesting we try a specially formatted episode that would let us interact with our listeners, and this time when he brought it up, we thought it had the potential for audio chaos which, for those who’ve heard our past anniversary shows, is a perfect for our sesquicentennial episode. Using the Zoom Meeting platform, we will be opening our room for the public (find the link below) so that anybody can join the conversation.

So join us on Thursday May 2nd, at 5:30pm PST and join the party — the mics will be hot and the tequila will chilled! Just follow the link below after 5:30pm PST on the 2nd and come say hi, ask a question and come celebrate 150 episodes along with us!

Join the AT Banter Sesquicentennial Episode Zoom Meeting
Thursday, May 2nd 5:30pm PST
https://zoom.us/j/661814311

AT Banter Episode 148 – Sam Seavey and The Blind Life

This week we’re joined by Sam Seavey from the popular YouTube Channel The Blind Life.  We discuss the state of Assistive Technology, what kind of AT he uses in his daily life, and the trials and tribulations of being a YouTube Content Creator.

Show Notes

The Blind Life YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNbzN3eHbLKPzltSB560DkA
Blind Shell Accessible Mobile Phone
https://www.blindshell.com/

AT Banter is brought to you by Canadian Assistive Technology, providing sales and training in Assistive Technology and Accessibility with over 30 years of knowledge and experience. Visit them online at www.canasstech.com or call toll-free 1-844-795-8324.

Need repairs on your device? Chaos Technical Services offers service and support on almost any piece of Assistive Technology, while also providing parts and batteries. Visit them online at www.chaostechnicalservices.com or call 778-847-6840.

AT Banter Episode 147 – Karthik Kannan and Envision AI

This week Rob, Ryan and Steve welcome Karthik Kannan, co-Founder and Chief Engineer at Envision Technologies, into the Guitar Dungeon all the way from the Netherlands! We discuss the details of the Envision app, which assists blind or partially sighted users and the power of AI and machine learning that drives it.

Show Notes

Envision AI
https://www.letsenvision.com/
Download Envision AI for Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.letsenvision.envisionai
Download Envision AI on iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1268632314

Episode 146 – David Lepofsky and the Accessible Canada Act

This week we’ve got a very important show – if you only listen to one episode of AT Banter this year, this is the one! Renowned disability advocate David Lepofsky joins us to talk all about C-81, the proposed Accessible Canada Act and details some of the shortcomings of the Act which he and many other disability advocates hope will be rectified before the Act passes into law. Listen in and find out what you can do to help and make your voices heard!

Show Notes

AODA Alliance Website
https://www.aodaalliance.org
EMAIL THE SENATE COMMITTEE!
soci@sen.parl.gc.ca
AODA Alliance on Twitter
@aodaalliance

Email the AODA Alliance
aodafeedback@gmail.com
Accessible Canada Act Is Too Weak to be Effective, Advocates Say (CTV News)
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/accessible-canada-act-is-too-weak-to-be-effective-advocates-say-1.4224281