AT Banter Episode 62 – Kyle Bryant

This week we’re joined by Kyle Bryant, host of the Two Disabled Dudes Podcast and founder of RideATAXIA. We discuss Friedreich’s ataxia, a rare neuro-muscular disorder, what it was like to be diagnosed with it at 17, and how a chance encounter with a recumbent trike altered the course of his life.

Show Notes
Jamie: Moving On From NV Access
Ryan and Rob briefly discuss the news that James Teh, one of the lead developers at NV Access, makers of the open source screen reader, NVDA, is leaving to work at Mozilla.
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/jamie-moving-on-from-nv-access/

rideATXAIA
http://www.rideataxia.org

Two Disabled Dudes Podcast
http://twodisableddudes.com

Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance
http://www.curefa.org

The Ataxian Trailer
https://vimeo.com/127990377

AT Banter Episode 61 – Full Nelson

This week we slow things down and engage in a bit of free form with guest co-host Nelson Régo from the Cool Blind Tech Podcast. Among the topics are a new Assistive Device, the development of a musical instrument that you play with your mind, some of the societal implications of autonomous cars, and Apple’s new foray into the digital assistant arena, the HomePod.

Show Notes
GlassOuse Assistive Device
Despite not knowing what syllable to put the emphasis on, we talk about this new mousing alternative that allows users a headpointing option that doesn’t require a onscreen keyboard.

Newly-developed hands-free musical instrument now allows people to make music with their minds
We talk a bit about Thomas Deuel’s Encephalophone and ponder just how it works and the implications for alternate access and rehabilitation. Also, we marvel that it’s really neat.

What’s Taking So Long for Driverless Cars to Go Mainstream?
Next up we discuss Fortune’s article regarding the societal impact of autonomous vehicles and make some completely unwarranted predictions on their future.

Google Maps now lets users add wheelchair accessibility details for locations
We discuss briefly this new crowdsourcing effort by Google to make Google Maps an even better source of information regarding accessible locations.

Apple’s New HomePod
Lastly, we talk about Apple throwing its hat into the digital assistant ring and discuss the specs and how it might compete with Google Home and the Amazon Echo.